Friday, May 06, 2011

Friday's Fave Five



My five favorites of the week:

1. Visiting family. We spent the weekend with my husband's family in addition to a night spent at my sister's. It was so much fun seeing my niece and nephew; we just don't see them often enough! Oh, and finding refuge during the power outage was a definite bonus.

2. The return of our electricity Sunday morning! It's sad, really, how dependent we are on all the modern amenities but it sure was nice to know we could turn on lights and wash clothes.

3. The Dashwood Sisters Tell All. I read this novel rather quickly--in a couple of days max--during our time without electricity. I liked Beth Pattillo's first two Austen-based novels and I liked this one as well: fun, light, easy reads.

4. The BBC production of Our Mutual Friend on DVD. I just finished the novel last week so I'm looking forward to watching this adaptation and I'm glad my friend had a copy for me to borrow. I've only watched the first hour or so but so far, so good. I think I'll like it a lot.

5. My new Keurig. Happy Mother's Day to me! I'm already enjoying the convenience of brewing just one quick cup in the evenings, for example, when I don't really need or want to brew anymore than the single cup. I love it! Last night I was perusing all the many options for K-cups; who can decide? Anyone else have a Keurig? What kind of coffee do you recommend?

So, there you go. Five favorites of the week. Other favorites include lunch with a friend and coffee (and a long conversation) with another friend. Friends are definitely my favorite! What about you? You can link up your favorites at Susanne's as well as check out others' lists.

Postscript: I will admit to feeling slightly ridiculous posting such frivolous favorites when so many in my state have lost so much. This morning's paper had the headline "Funeral for Five." I cannot imagine. So even as I make a list of things I've enjoyed this week, I cannot help but think of those suffering under the weight of loss and devastation who could not name even one favorite thing of this past week, much less five. May the Lord have mercy. I don't quite know how else to pray. Mercy, grace, provision, a good nights' sleep, help, resources: may the Lord grant all this and more to those affected. I pray too for those involved in disaster relief, my parents included in that number; may the Lord grant them energy and efficiency as they work and clean up and serve food and distribute supplies and hold babies. May they be ambassadors for Christ, proclaiming the hope of gospel as they offer a cup of cold water in His name.

Happy Friday, friends. May we rest in the sovereign goodness of our Lord God this week.

14 comments:

  1. You got a Keurig... ahhh... congrats! I have found mine to be so convenient (& actually good for limiting me to one cup/day) but the coffees have made me somewhat of a coffee "snob" unfortunately. ;)

    My all-time favorite is a flavored coffee - Gloria Jean's Butter Toffee. I also like her Swiss Chocolate Almond flavor. The Mudslide, Hazelnut, French Vanilla Supreme & Cappuccino flavors are ok, but not my faves. (We have a GJ in our mall & I did a pick-your-own variety box).

    As far as straight coffee, we like the Timothy's Columbian the best (decaf variety too). The Donut People have a good plain coffee as well. Their chocolate donut is good, and I like their cinnamon flavored one as well. :) I'm just a flavored kinda gal.

    We didn't like any of the "Bold" (too bold for me - I would actually double brew these) or any of the Tulley's brand - just not a big fan of dark, smoky flavored/French coffee.

    Umm... the Chai Latte is really good! And the hot chocolate. I forget who makes those/same brand.

    LOL. There ya go. My experience with Keurig coffees. We have been gifted some and switched half/half with friends that also have a Keurig, so while it sounds like we have a ton of these, we've just tried a bunch a couple of times then stick to our faves :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a Keurig....that's what got me started on deciding I like coffee. I agree w/Mrs. H about those favorite flavors. I liked a lot of those also. However, I was really bad about remembering to order more K-cups, so I finally sent the Keurig to work with my husband once I bought myself a full coffee pot. He has the most popular office in the building now. He said people buy their own stash of coffee and bring it to him for a cup throughout the day. :-)

    Now you're making me think I might like having it back, but I don't really want to make a bunch of Army guys mad at me if I get my husband to bring it home. Never anger the people with the guns. Ha! But I'd forgotten about the GJ Butter Toffee....

    ReplyDelete
  3. The news coming out of your region is really sobering. I'm glad you got your electricity back. It is amazing how dependent we are on it...
    My daughter has been eying the Keurig. Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm the same..being thankful for the comforts I didn't have those days without power or contact with others...
    However, like you, I'm also remembering all those who have lost so much...I've been watching the extended news stories each night...so many stories of heroism and help plus the horrors....
    I am thinking of ways I can help...
    Mama Bear

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome...a Keurig.....love it! (i like green mountain brand coffees)....but i don't have the machine....my daughter wants one for college tho :) and thank the Lord for electricity! happy weekend...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I’m with you, sister. That electricity is some sweet stuff. :-) And yes, it is sad how dependent we are upon it. I think about the thousands and thousands of years people lived without it!

    I also read about the “Funeral for Five.” I can’t imagine either....

    Praying you have a wonderful Mother’s Day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on the Keurig, I use one of those machines at work and I really like the coffee that they have. I do what its like to not have electricity and then have it again and its a wonderful feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad you're okay, and that you have your electricity back. My heart has broken a hundred times reading about and watching the reports of all of the people who were in the path of the tornadoes.

    I'm glad you had some time with family, a good book, and some DVDs. When we were without power for about 5 days last year, it was nice to find pleasure in the little things.

    I've been wanting a Keurig.. or a Tassimo.. or an anything K-cup. I'm glad you're enjoying yours! New Kitchen things make me happy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. it is sobering that we have so many blessings when others are so devastated. i join you in your prayers, lisa, for everyone involved. i am so glad you all are okay.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I understand how you feel about not knowing what to pray; just saying, "Lord Jesus, have mercy on me" is sometimes all that you can say. And finding little things in your day, even if you think they are 'frivolous' is still a way to acknowledge that Jesus does have mercy on you. I am glad you are safe and have your power back on--such mercy in this world, truly.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, the Keurig. It is a wonderful thing. I bought one for us 3 years ago, thinking we'd use it "occasionally." It's all we use anymore! My personal favorite is Donut House Glazed Chocolate Cake (horrible, I know!). My husband likes Timothy's World Midnight Magic, because it lets him brew a bigger size but still have strong coffee.

    I'm right there with you about electricity. I do not function well without it. At all.

    Praying for those in your state who are hurting... I can't even imagine...

    ReplyDelete
  12. It really is amazing how much we depend on electricity to run so much of our lives. So glad yours is back on. Saying a prayer for all those who are suffering in your state.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad you liked The Dashwood Sisters Tell All! (Not that I doubted you would!)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm glad you're okay, and that you have your electricity back. My heart has broken a hundred times reading about and watching the reports of all of the people who were in the path of the tornadoes.

    I'm glad you had some time with family, a good book, and some DVDs. When we were without power for about 5 days last year, it was nice to find pleasure in the little things.

    I've been wanting a Keurig.. or a Tassimo.. or an anything K-cup. I'm glad you're enjoying yours! New Kitchen things make me happy.

    ReplyDelete