Monday, May 16, 2011

Monday Mish Mash

My husband had to wake me up this morning, a rare occurrence to be sure. I was deep in sleep, too, in the middle of a strange dream about dogs and a fancy banquet. Because of such slothfulness--sleeping in til 6:30!!!--my brain (not to mention the rest of me) is moving quite slowly today. In fact, I'm thinking it will be not merely a two-pot sort of day, but a one-cup-right-after-another sort of day. Thanks to my beloved Keurig, I can have one of those kinds of days with ease!

I confess my slowness to you as a disclaimer in regard to the sort of post I am able to write (or, not) under such conditions. Why I feel the need to check in with a nothing sort of post is bewildering to me; perhaps it encourages other Monday strugglers out there (anyone? anyone?). Regardless, here's a mish mash of my thoughts and events this week...

I am on Week 2 of the Partnering to Remember Scripture memory plan whereby I am memorizing the book of Philippians. I am discovering the older one is, the more difficult memorization can be. It is, in fact, a humbling experience as I struggle not only remembering specific phrases but also fighting feeling just plain dumb.

It is a chilly day today, highs not expected to reach 60, 40's tonight. I think I'm going to wear boots today and I'm so excited!

My prayer list contains so many with such big needs. Friends with job loss, friends with a struggling marriage, friends with a rebellious child, friends with cancer, friends on the mission field. Over and over I pray: Lord, have mercy...Lord, be good and be gracious, in Your mercy be sufficient...Lord, have mercy...

In a burst of pseudo-craftiness I painted a chalkboard over the rack where the boys hang their backpacks.  The first thing I wrote on it? Psalm 133:1. Yes, Lord, let it be. This mama needs to be so. It is pleasant and good for my peace of mind when brothers dwell in unity. Amen.

The school year is winding down which means our year of "last's" is just beginning. My oldest son is currently in the middle of his last spring football training. His last spring game is Saturday. And on and on it goes. It's just plain weird. I've already warned his brothers that for this one year, his "last" will most likely preclude whatever it is they may have going on that conflicts. Is that wrong? 

Well, I must now cast aside my slothful tendencies and get up and go do something slightly more productive, like make a grocery list or take the dog for a (S L O W) walk around the block. Perhaps my next post will be less mish mash and more substance!

4 comments:

  1. I'm with you when it comes to memorizing as I get older. I look at the things my 12-year-old can memorize with ease and I am amazed. Yet I know I *used* to be able to do the same. Ah, humbling age...

    And yes, the Keurig is a wonderful invention. Fresh cup of coffee at 1:30 in the afternoon? Yes please! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Pseudo-craftiness." Pish-posh, Lisa. A chalkboard on which to write scripture is genuine craftiness!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa, I also have started to feel a sadness (and excitement) that we are about to begin a year of "lasts" with Kelly. It was very hard when Katie graduated and moved on to Auburn ( and then Germany- now home). I feel an even deeper and somewhat different feeling knowing that my last child is about to begin her senior year. We are in for lots of fun AND bittersweet times!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes these kinds of posts are the best...6:30 is way too early for me although that is when I got up this morning...woke with a hot flash and had to get out of bed to cool off.
    I like the idea of the verses on the chalk board. I've noticed that Daughter has verses posted at strategic spots in her home...a good way to read and memorize Bible verses.
    Mama Bear

    ReplyDelete