Wednesday, June 01, 2011

Status Report, June

Sitting...at my dining room table. I would be out on the porch, my favorite morning locale, but with the painter here pressure washing and the contractors here repairing some rotten and damaged siding, the porch isn't quite the restful and peaceful location it usually is.

Drinking...coffee, black.

Reading...Knowing God by J.I. Packer. We're discussing a chapter each week in my pastor's Wednesday night class at church but I couldn't resist reading ahead. Good stuff.

Looking...for a good fiction read. I recently finished Hannah Coulter by Wendell Berry and enjoyed it very much. It is always difficult to find an adequate follow up to a really good book!

Enjoyed...our book club this past month. We read Jane Austen's Persuasion and watched the Masterpiece Theater adaptation at our meeting. That plus ice cream made for a fun evening! This month we're reading Little Women, another favorite!

Celebrating...packing my last lunchbox of the school year this morning! Yes!

Planning...various projects around the house. Of course, it seems to me that I am always doing the planning but never quite the completing of such projects. Among my goals for the summer: staining the porch, painting trim, sorting the boys' clothes currently stored in boxes under the beds and in closets, painting a couple of pieces of furniture, and so on. Pretty ambitious, as I said.

Transitioning...to our summer lifestyle and fighting feeling just a little overwhelmed by the crowded June and July calendars. In addition to the boys' usual practices and workouts, we'll be making a trip to the beach as well as visiting my son's college of choice.

Wondering...and not for the first time...how it is that my son is now a senior, set to graduate and fly the coop next year. Seriously, how can these things be? Seems like he should be in fifth grade or something. Time, it flies, and far more quickly than I ever imagined.

Wanting...to write and put to paper (computer screen?) the various ponderings and wonderings occupying my mind lately. Yeah, yeah, it's my same old confession: I miss blogging, I want to blog more, I want to write more, but I never seem to get back in the groove. Blah, blah, blah. I'm a frustrated blogger, no doubt about it. It is difficult to find the time, yes, but it is also difficult--at times--to walk the fine line between what I should and shouldn't write about. So sometimes I just don't.

Thankful...that the worth of my life isn't measured by site hits or comment counts nor even by the successful completion of all my summer projects. Rather, it is the humble living of my days, ordinary as they may be, loving and serving my family, testifying of the glorious gospel, rejoicing in the Lord's mercy in saving me, resting in His sufficiency, seeking the glory of the Lord in all things--this is what matters, this is the good life. A humble, ordinary life comprised of humble, ordinary days: this is my calling and this is my joy. I am thankful.

6 comments:

  1. Oh I remember the days of our first graduate. It was very hard to believe...
    Love your thankful paragraph. Have a wonderful first day of June! YIKES! JUNE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As always, I love your post. The last paragraph resonated with me today, dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Summertime! Summertime! How I LOVED it - esp. when I was in school. =) The feelings of elation were enormous. But then, I wasn't the parent at the time...

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have watched two graduate and fly the coop. Both of those two are living in other places this summer, and there is only one at home, and the times when he's working or doing other things, I do wonder if I'm going to find it really hard when he's gone. This time next year, he will be graduating.

    I, too, am thankful for ordinary moments.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Time surely does fly. I used to be a little exasperated when older, wiser, more experienced moms used to tell me to treasure the kids' toddlerhood and young child stages, but now I get it and understand much better what they meant.

    I appreciate your last paragraph as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As always, I love your post. The last paragraph resonated with me today, dear friend!

    ReplyDelete