Friday, July 15, 2011

Motherhood is a calling

I once read an interview in which a prominent author defended her ministry outside the home by asserting that as a young mom “I felt neglected. And I hated my life. I mean, hated it. Okay? And then I started hating my husband. I felt like I was doing everything for everybody and getting nothing in return.” She went to the doctor who gave her the advice to “go out and get a job, to do something to satisfy me.” At this point in her life, she testifies: “I began to find me.” While I hesitate to judge her heart and motivations, I will say: this makes me sad. In contrast, I find this post at the Desiring God blog to be refreshing in it's call to the cross and to death, to live out gospel truth by sacrificing on behalf of others, on behalf of my children, declaring to the world the worth of the gospel and the value the Lord places on the least of these. In Motherhood Is a Calling (And Where Your Children Rank), Rachel Jankovic offers the following encouragement to moms:

Motherhood is not a hobby, it is a calling. You do not collect children because you find them cuter than stamps. It is not something to do if you can squeeze the time in. It is what God gave you time for.

Contrasting the prevailing cultural mindset with the way of the believer, Jankovic writes...

But a Christian should have a different paradigm. We should run to to the cross. To death. So lay down your hopes. Lay down your future. Lay down your petty annoyances. Lay down your desire to be recognized. Lay down your fussiness at your children. Lay down your perfectly clean house. Lay down your grievances about the life you are living. Lay down the imaginary life you could have had by yourself. Let it go.

"Stop clinging to yourself and cling to the cross," she concludes. Oh, yes, may I have the grace to do so, to shout to a watching world that I am nothing, Christ is everything, and what I get in return isn't nothing but everything, Christ Himself and the joy of the gospel! I don't want to find me; I want to find Him...

Read the rest of Jankovic's encouraging post here.

5 comments:

  1. Glad you linked this. I saw this new article come through the other day but hadn't read it yet. Well stated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katrina @ Callapidder DaysJuly 15, 2011 6:33 PM

    Wow, good stuff. "Stop clinging to yourself and cling to the cross..." -- may that be reflected in my life more and more. I'm very good at clinging to myself, unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Persis LorentiJuly 15, 2011 6:58 PM

    I've known several women who believed that they would be better mothers if they were fulfilled professionally. But self satisfaction is the norm rather than sacrifice today.

    We're called to something pretty tough as moms, but it's worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely agree with the "clinging to the cross" thing, but I also wonder if this could become an issue like homeschooling/Christian schooling/public schooling that is really not addressed in scripture, and could alienate some. Though I don't work outside the home (though have started to do a little paying work from home with the kids in school more hours), I definitely lay down my self much much less (meaning not as well) as some full- or part-time working moms I know. It's all about the heart, and unfortunately I know that mine needs some work!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the heads up on the article. It just might inspire a post of its own on my blog. This is a subject that I have been so convicted of this summer. Defending motherhood is a battle - a battle against culture and against "self". It's the "self" I am having problems with these days.

    ReplyDelete