Friday, July 01, 2011

True Confessions

  • I've been sleeping in these summer mornings until SEVEN AM--quite out of character for me.
  • We have little or no structure or routine in the summertime, other than what is imposed upon us (like VBS last week).
  • I've nearly fallen off the wagon in regard to memorizing Philippians, maybe because we have so little routine? Certainly not because I lack discipline...
  • Ok, yeah, I lack discipline.
  • My son had his wisdom teeth removed this morning and I've already asked one brother if he would be willing to change out the gauze packing when it gets bloody and grody.
  • I do not do well with blood related grody-ness.
  • I've never been accused of being a particularly sympathetic, nurturing sort of nurse when my kids have been sick or indisposed.
  • However, I may have scored some mother-of-the-year points when I made chocolate chip cookies the other night for the first time in FOREVER.
  • I had also bought the boys some sodas to drink and chicken fingers for supper from the deli of the local grocery store, prompting one of the children to proclaim it "a special day"!
  • I think I should have chilled the cookie dough because the cookies turned out very flat. But good.
  • I may or may not have eaten more than one or two cookies while making them.
  • Indeed, who can resist a chocolate chip cookie warm from the oven?
  • Apparently I cannot.
  • I may or may not have eaten an additional cookie (or two) later in that same evening after the kids were in the bed.
  • I think I may have already confessed to you that I lack discipline.
  • In other news, I am so ready for fall.
  • Summer is my least favorite season.
  • There are some things I do like about summer, but I have a hard time remembering what they are.
  • Hydrangeas, Teva flip flops, white jeans, no lunch boxes to pack, and homemade ice cream--these are some of the things I like about summer. The heat, the humidity, shorts, and swimsuits, not so much.
  • I am looking forward to next summer, at least next June when I will hopefully be here; anyone else?
  • I am not looking forward to next summer and the corresponding push to get everything ready to ship my oldest son off to school.
  • I've decided I'm not going to think that far ahead. Not today, anyway.
  • It is time for my son's gauze to be changed; how bad can it be? I will also fix him a bowl of pudding.
  • Sometimes I can be sympathetic and nurturing after all. But only some times.

7 comments:

  1. Oh I feel you on all of the above.
    Wisdom teeth was last August for my daughter that graduated last month and I will be the one not looking forward to sending her off to school.

    But my big advice for today and wisdom teeth is set out a scoop of ice cream in the fridge to make "ice cream soup"...it helps with taking those pesky pain pills and helps them not miss eating everything that their family is eating...hang in there...hope he comes through it nicely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beth Ann ParnellJuly 01, 2011 11:18 AM

    Love it! Your sincerity and honesty help me to accept myself as I am. I would love to pretend that I am somebody I am not. It is refreshing to have friends with whom I can be my self and share such honesty. My list of confessions would be very similar to yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beth Ann ParnellJuly 01, 2011 1:25 PM

    Love it! Your sincerity and honesty help me to accept myself as I am. I would love to pretend that I am somebody I am not. It is refreshing to have friends with whom I can be my self and share such honesty. My list of confessions would be very similar to yours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just have him spit it in the trash and then fold the piece up and stick it in his mouth if he is too young to do it himself.
    I like fresh tomatoes in the summer but hate the heat, humidity, mosquitoes, hot cars, hot pavement, Love having my granddaughter spend the day, love going barefoot, hate being hot.
    Mama Bear

    ReplyDelete
  5. Persis LorentiJuly 01, 2011 8:06 PM

    I dislike summer because of the heat, humidity, and bugs. I do like the fresh produce at the farmer's market and the longer days.

    I have TGC women's conference penciled on my calendar. I would love to go, but we shall see...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want to go to the conference, too. We'll have to see what happens, though.

    And I'm right with you on the summer thing. I like not having to worry with school and a schedule so much, but the heat & humidity are awful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Katrina @ Callapidder DaysJuly 04, 2011 8:48 AM

    Oh my. I would not be interested in changing the gauze either. I get light-headed just thinking about it! And I'm ready for fall too...I love fall.

    ReplyDelete