Tuesday, August 16, 2011

First Day of School (and proof positive that time flies)

Yesterday was the first day back to school. It's our tradition, and certainly not a unique one, to take a picture at the front door.  This year's obligatory shot:


We are a little nostalgic this school year as it is my oldest son's last year at home. Nostalgic, surprised, overwhelmed, proud--these are the conflicting emotions of the parents of a high school senior. I mean, seriously, how can it be? My firstborn, a senior? Time flies, as I've testified to you before, and here's proof: his first day of kindergarten front door picture...


That was then; this is now...


Twelve years pass by in a blink of the eye!

And here's the shot of all the brothers as they were then, back when there were only three...




I like to tell the story of taking my oldest to kindergarten. Of course we all walked him into his classroom, he marching before us like he was born ready (which I think he probably was), me the non-sentimental stoic and slightly stressed mom herding along a preschooler and toddler, and his brother, our number two son, the only one crying because he didn't want big brother to go to school!

No one cried yesterday, not even me, which doesn't mean I haven't and I won't. I have wept some, out of sadness at the passage of time and because I miss him already and he hasn't even gone...yet. But I cry too out of gratitude. What blessing is mine to be granted the grace and the privilege to mother four wonderful sons! I am so proud of my boy, of all my boys, and I am overwhelmed by the Lord's goodness to us. It's grace, all of it, grace from beginning to end. I think I see His grace all the more clearly here closer to the end than I did at the beginning and I am humbly grateful.

The Lord has been good to us. Blessed be the name of the Lord.

9 comments:

  1. Breathoflife Melissa3August 16, 2011 8:55 AM

    Such handsome young men! I know I see God's grace more clearly as CJ gets older. I also feel the press of time running short, and so much left to teach her.

    It's great to catch up with you, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice looking boys. There will be other "first days" for him. Get ready for next year. When we dropped off our daughter at college, and watched her turn to walk toward her residence building, it was hard, indeed. Last year, my son who was in his first year of college, forbade me to cry. So I waited. This September, my youngest will start his last "first day" in high school, too. I'm right there with you, fellow mama bear. Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Precious! Enjoy his senior year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are blessed indeed! I love these photos...

    ReplyDelete
  5. No words. Just a smile.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Been there...Done that
    I can so relate. I'm so proud of all of you!
    Mom or Mimi as I'm now known

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sweet photos! I remember my mom taking pictures like these as well. She has a whole series of photos of me and my sister, carrying backpacks and standing on the front porch.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my. I want to cry myself just looking at those sweet pictures. I think I cried more my daughter's senior year than the actual first year she was gone. ha. (I've decided I'm an anticipatory griever.)

    Yes, the Lord has been good to us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Denise Milton CrumpAugust 17, 2011 8:48 AM

    You're such an eloquent writer, and a very faithful follower of Jesus! I love you! I saw you last night at meet the Aggies, didn't get close enough to speak to you.

    ReplyDelete