Saturday, September 03, 2011

Saturday morning thoughts following a Friday night win


I love Friday night football.

I love watching my boy play.

I love watching my boy catch a pass for a touchdown.

And doing it again!

I love the exhilaration and the elation and the high five's that follow a score.

I love winning and winning big.

I love Saturday mornings after a game, examining the newspaper's coverage (finding only two errors), and remembering the fun of the night before.

I love then sitting out on the back porch with my coffee on that same Saturday morning and reading that day's Bible reading, today's reminding me that the fear of the Lord leads to life and that the purpose of the Lord will stand, that the Lord of hosts is holy, holy, holy and the whole earth is full of his glory.

I love knowing that the temporal joys of this world--football and touchdowns and victories--serve to point me to a far greater joy, a lasting joy, a joy found only in the Lord Jesus Christ. Football games will fade from memory but my joy in Christ is eternal, yes and amen!

I love the Lord, the giver of all good things, and I am thankful there is grace in wins...and in losses...and that in both, as in all things, He is glorified and He is sovereign and He is good...and this I remember even as I hope for another victory next week!

3 comments:

  1. Woo-hoo!!! Sounds fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post. It helps me to see how to better appreciate my boy's desire to play football, and to learn how to better enjoy it with him. Thanks, Lisa! I had all but forgotten how much fun Friday night football was back when I was in the band in high school, and now I get to rediscover it now that my boys are getting older. Thanks for the reminder that these temporal joys, though fading and not lasting in the grand scheme of things, are good things that we can enjoy and glorify God in enjoying, too. :-) I had forgotten this. I just love your perspective, thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hooray for your boy! And yes, how good God is to give us these earthly shadow-joys that remind us of that greater joy.

    ReplyDelete