Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Something (Anything): A 21 Day Blogging Experiment

There are nearly 750 bloggers participating in the Nester's "31 Days of...." a blogging carnival of sorts in which participants commit to publish a post a day on a single topic throughout the 31 days of October. I don't know which amazes me more: the promise to post for 31 CONSECUTIVE days or having enough to say on a single topic to write that many posts. And the topics are themselves eclectic: everything from 31 Days of Photo Tips, 31 Days to a Better Wardrobe, 31 Days of Fall Organizing, 31 Days of Free Printables, 31 Days of Tomatoes, and on and on it goes, a true testimony to the wide and varied nature of blogging. Take, for example, the 31 Day series that perhaps intrigues me as much as any other: 31 Days of Library Living. Yes and amen.

While I cannot, in my current state of bloggy limbo, imagine choosing a single topic and extrapolating said topic over 31 posts, I've decided to embark on a blogging experiment of my own, one I'm calling  "Something (Anything): A 21 Day Experiment." As the title suggests, I am going to attempt to post something (anything) every day for 21 days. In doing so, I hope to answer nagging questions like: Do I like blogging any more? Is my blogger's block a function of a lapse in writing regularly? If yes, will a commitment to do just that--blog on a regular basis--grant me perspective on my writing life or lack thereof?

You may be wondering, as I, if I really will be able to post something (anything) on a daily basis. Probably not, but I'm willing to give it a try, admittedly something of a challenge given the fact that I probably haven't posted 21 times in the last 4 months combined. However, in the interest of full disclosure, I'm quite certain not all 21 posts will be original material. I may post quotes from books I am reading, I may recycle old posts, I may link to someone else's post. Regardless, I hope that through this experiment I will remember what it is I loved about blogging and rediscover my blogging muse, as it were.

What about you? Are you also muddling through a blogging lull? What to join in with your own experiment? Maybe 21 days is too ambitious (I'm beginning to agree)--what about a five day or ten day experiment? Let me know if you choose to attempt a writing commitment; we can encourage each other  to press on through whatever block or lapse or lull we may be seeking to overcome.

Twenty one posts?! Can I do it? Let's find out!


18 comments:

  1. okaaaaaay. I'll be reading. I already know I can't do it. And thanks for linking to your blog posts from facebook! It's a great reminder to check your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had been thinking of doing something similar. I'm in.

    Ugh. That does sound ambitious after you say yes, doesn't it. .c8

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL. Welcome to the craze ;)
    It has been a stretch for me as well.
    (currently participating with "31 Days of Kicking out Excuses"!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea! I'm in. But, like you, I don't think I'll be able to write on a single topic for that many days, so I'll go with the "Something (Anything)" category.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Becky Daily On My Way to HeaveOctober 11, 2011 4:36 PM

    I will be reading you 21 days on a row, good! <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll join you. When do we start?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Today! Or, whenever you want! I'm counting this as my first post, only 20 more to go! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Something (Anything) works for me! I'm glad you're in!

    ReplyDelete
  9. And, you can see how far behind I am in reading other blogs in that I didn't even know *hangs head in shame*

    I'm well impressed both with your topic and with your consistency; I'll be sure to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Maybe not so ambitious if we're in this together? So glad you're in; it helps to know I'm not alone! Ha! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. lol, just blogged about blogging, on blogging. what? ;-) I'll start tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

    For my part, I'm a fairly faithful blogger but just can't commit to every day--too many other, more important, commitments (teaching Sunday school, taking a systematic theology class, work-bleh!) So I'll just enjoy reading what you write (when I get to it in my reader, that is :-P)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Blogging about blogging most definitely falls in the Something (Anything) category! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Woo-hoo! Don't know that I have the where-withal to do this myself, though.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ok. Now I'm watching. ;D

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm in a serious blogging lull here, too. I just haven't felt like taking the time to sit down and write a post. I feel like any post I write would just be boring. Maybe I'll snap out of it...one day.

    ReplyDelete