Thursday, October 27, 2011

Thankfulness on Thursday


I am joining other blog friends in giving thanks on Thursday for the blessings and the mercies of the previous week. This week I thank the Lord for...

  • The opportunity to celebrate the impending arrival of a precious little life with a baby shower tonight. 

  • The cheese ring I made for the baby shower tonight. I suppose, technically speaking, that I'm not exactly thankful for it yet, as it hasn't been served, but I had a little taste after making it last night and it's good, well worth advance gratitude. I am also thankful for the goodies my friends will be making: caramel apple dip and mini chicken salad sandwiches, just to name a couple.

  • My Southern heritage and our tradition of marking all of life's major events--births, deaths, weddings, and so on--with food: the conventional casserole, certainly, or a cheese ring as the case may be.

  • The kind of community I share with my friends and fellow church members, my sisters in Christ, where we rejoice with those who rejoice and grieve with those who grieve.

  • My internet friends who encourage me through our conversations via email or twitter. Y'all are true friends to me, whether we've met in real life or not--and I sure hope we can someday!

  • A big win for Senior Night, my son's last home football game last Friday night.

  • My husband coming home after several days (too many days!) of being out of town. I missed him!

  • Open windows, cool breezes, and leaves turning.


Blessings all mine, with ten thousand beside! 

What are you thankful for this week?

I will give thanks to the LORD with my whole heart; 
 I will recount all of your wonderful deeds. 
I will be glad and exult in you; 
 I will sing praise to your name, O Most High.
~ Psalm 9:1-2

11 comments:

  1. Those are all great to be thankful for. Oh my do we celebrate everything around food, too. Maybe I should jog to each event...
    Fellowship with the "body" can not be replaced by anything out there.
    Have fun tonight and enjoy the cheese ring. (photo and recipe :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Blessings all mine, with ten thousand beside!" I've been thinking that a lot this week. God is so gracious to us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love marking life's events with food--it's one of those things that totally brings us together. It's wonderful to be a part of a community of encouragement, both in "real life" and online (but probably best in real life, since it's easier to share food that way :-P)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm...cheese ring! Recipe? I would be thankful for that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Becky Daily On My Way to HeaveOctober 27, 2011 10:26 PM

    I am too, thankful for you.
    And I also long for the day we'll meet in person or for the day we'll feast together at the Lord's Table... today I am grateful for that hope.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I attended a baby shower for a sweet sister at our church recently. It had been quite a while since I'd been at one and I had so much fun! Such a joy to share in that sweet celebration!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thimbleannie was me, Lisa. Your comment form took that part of my email as my name. I thought I'd corrected it but I guess not.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I too am thankful for my Southern heritage. Sending thank you notes, waving at motorists as they drive past you even though you don't know them, sending a casserole in times of joy as well as grief, and making time to "sit awhile" with a glass of iced tea. But today I'm especially for God's grace in parenting, answered prayers and the power of the Holy Spirit within His children to change things we cannot change.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been negligent about popping over here, and I'm always blessed when I do! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Carrie, ReadingtoknowOctober 31, 2011 10:45 AM

    =D I love that you mention your Southern heritage here.

    And yay for husbands being home!

    Open windows, cool breezes and leaves turning. Oooh, lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I too am a southern girl! South Texas anyway! I am loving your blog!

    ReplyDelete