Tuesday, February 28, 2012

What's On My Nightstand, February


Here's a look at what I'm reading this month!

RECENTLY FINISHED READING:

Highly recommended. I am quite certain this title will make the favorites list among books I've read this year! Whether you would define yourself as an avid reader or not, you will find encouragement and challenge by reading this book about reading. I was afraid I might either feel guilty over what I do read or overwhelmed by all I should. Neither was the case! Reinke develops a theology of reading and then moves to helpful tips for deciding what to read as well as how to read it. Excellent stuff.

Amy Inspired by Bethany Pierce
If you were to read the various reviews of this novel posted by book bloggers and amazon shoppers you would find it to be something of a lightning rod. It seems readers either hate it or like it. Though I appreciate reading negative reviews (and often find them more revealing than the positive), I chose this title for our book club thinking it would spawn some interesting discussion. We haven't met yet but I can tell you my instinct was correct. :) The story is well written and compelling and and yet also honest and raw. I liked this book but it is not your grandmother's Christian fiction. I'm not certain the rest of the book clubbers liked it so much but we'll find out next week!

Miss Pym Disposes by Josephine Tey
I'm a fan of the British murder mystery, no doubt about it, but this particular mystery, not so much. Miss Pym is a delightful protagonist and Tey writes with barely concealed amusement in her characterization of the psychologist turned sleuth. However, perhaps it was the setting of a physical therapy school for girls and the rigors the girls endure that made the novel seem outdated and difficult to immerse oneself in. Do such schools still exist? I don't really know. I much preferred Tey's Man in the Queue.


CURRENTLY READING:

The Enchanted April by Elizabeth von Arnim
I just began this novel, the story of four women living in an Italian villa for a month, and so far, so good. If first impressions can be trusted then this will be a book I enjoy very much. I've got the movie in my Netflix queue ready to watch upon completion of the book!

I'm not sure how much of a writing life I really live, not much of one if the blog is any indication to be sure! However, after seeing this book quoted in several places across the web I thought perhaps I too could benefit from Wilson's writing encouragement. Who knows? Maybe the blog will be the better and the more prolific for it. Or, not...

We are continuing to read this as part of our Wednesday night study at church.


CONSIDERING READING NEXT (subject to the whim of the reader, of course):

In Cold Blood by Truman Capote
I'm still considering reading this account of a brutal murder in Kansas. Some of your comments last month have swayed me a little so we'll see...

The House at Riverton: A Novel by Kate Morton
Staci recommended this title to me and since I loved Morton's The Distant Hours, I can't wait to read this title next!

A Place for Weakness: Preparing Yourself for Suffering by Michael Horton
From the publisher's description: "Horton exposes the pop culture that sells Jesus like a product for health and happiness and reminds us that our lives often lead us on difficult routes we must follow by faith. This book offers a series of powerful readings that demonstrate how, through every type of earthly difficulty, our Father keeps his promises from Scripture and works all things together for our good." Yes and amen.

Made to Crave: Satisfying Your Deepest Desire with God, Not Food by Lysa Terkeurst
Our next book club selection, another book certain to generate some interesting discussion I think!

Still thinking about reading...



I'm also looking at reading something by Flannery O'Connor. Any recommendations?

Oh, and by the way, you can keep up with my reading progress at the reading tab at the top of this blog!


What are you reading this month? Let us know in the comments or link up at 5 Minutes for Books where you can also check out what other bloggers are reading!

15 comments:

  1. I loved Bethany Pierce's Feeling for Bones, but I didn't like Amy Inspired as much. It's been a while since I read it, but I remember it wasn't quite what I expected.

    I'm in the middle of Lit! and enjoying it very much (permission to read more than 1 book at a time makes me happy!)

    A Place for Weakness was outstanding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I reviewed Amy Inspired awhile back. It is a very different book. The style really bugged me at first, but the book grew on me. Its certain to generate a good discussion.

    If you are open to hearing some theological concerns about One Thousand Gifts, please email me. Or, the article is on the right column of my blog. I don't mean to be pushy about it, I'm just trying to be helpful if you have some concerns with it. I did, not write the review, but actually asked one of my favorite theologians to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Jessica! I will check out your review and I appreciate your gracious response. I actually began reading One Thousand Gifts back when it first took the Christian world by storm (a year and a half ago maybe?) but put it down mainly because I find Voskamp's style of writing too difficult for me understand (I'm both a simple minded woman and reader). Since then I have read much of the chatter about the book and am interested in returning to it and reading with a more informed mind (but still simple--ha!). A couple of blogger friends and I have tossed around the idea of blogging through it but I don't know if we will or if it would be for public consumption. :)

    But thanks again. As I said I will click over and check out your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh. That should be "did not write." Typing is not my thing this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never even heard of Feeling for Bones! I'll have to check it out!

    Yes, I knew you recommended A Place for Weakness so when I saw it at a discounted price ($5 maybe?) I snapped it up. Looking forward to reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've heard so many people recommend Lit! I should check it out.

    I read and reviewed Amy Inspired a while back. It was one of those. "I like a lot about it, but...." type of reviews. Overall I thought it was a good picture of what young single women can go through, but I thought some of the scenes went too far for Christian fiction. I'd love to be a part of the book club discussion of that one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. In checking out Nightstand readers, I keep hearing about Lit! I'm intrigued and curious now, and want to check it out for myself. I also like Josephine Tey, but found that book...well I wasn't totally satisfied with it, if that makes sense. And I loved "The Distant Hours" too! I hope her other book stands up to it. It's on my TBRsomeday list.

    elizabeth
    5minutes for books

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read Enchanted April years ago but remember liking it very much. Capote? Not very much. I have Wordsmithy on my "to get" list one of these days. Have you read Josephine Tey's Daughter of Time? It's supposed to a classic mystery. I've read "Brat Farrar" by her but not any others.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I keep almost buying Lit! and then stop, thinking it will be boring. Glad to hear you like it. I'll give it a chance too! And I do think you'll like Wordsmithy. There were a few pages I scanned, but overall, his wit and to-the-point style make it more entertaining than just a how-to write book.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeah, Lit is awesome!

    I'm smiling because you are still thinking about reading One Thousand Gifts. =D (I'm so glad I'm not the only one still holding out!) I do have a copy on hold at the library and when it finally comes in I'll make the final decision, depending on where I am in life at that point. =)

    Still have A Place for Weakness on my list, thanks to Melissa's HIGH recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've also read "Brat Farrar" and it wasn't my favorite either.

    I think you'll really like "Wordsmithy". Even as more of a dabbler than a writer I like his down to earth address, especially when he encourages his reader to get out there and live a real life with real life duties.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'd love to know your thoughts on "Lit!"

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'll let you know how our discussion goes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I resisted reading "Lit!" also, also because I was afraid it might be boring and because it might be too challenging in terms of what I should be reading and because I thought I might not be smart enough to read a book about reading. In other words, would it be too intellectual for me? It was none of those things; rather I found it very encouraging. He did have some tips that I will not adopt but that's not the intent of the book. Let me know what you think if you do end up reading it!

    And yes, "Wordsmithy" has been really enjoyable so far!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'd LOVE to hear your thoughts on One Thousand Gifts! :)

    ReplyDelete