Thursday, May 10, 2012

The sun will come up tomorrow

It was, I think, my first real disappointment: not making the dance team at my high school. I was in the ninth grade and I was heartbroken. I remember sitting on the floor in my room the afternoon after the results were announced, working on some homework and nursing my heartache, when my dad came in bearing a bouquet of flowers. "It'll be okay," he assured me. "The sun will come up tomorrow." He was right, of course, and his floral gift was all the more poignant since I'd waged a bouquet of roses with a certain boy who promised to gift me in like manner when...if...I made the team.

Through the years I had other heartaches, to be sure, broken relationships that left me certain my life as I knew it was finally, irrevocably, over. My dad turned out to be right in each situation: no matter how bleak I thought tomorrow looked, the sun came up and it was all, eventually, okay.

I thought of my father and his flowers and how helpless he must have felt when, some thirty years later, I too promised my child that "it'll be okay." I didn't offer flowers but a milkshake, knowing full well that neither milkshakes nor flowers help heartache, not really. But, moms and dads hurt when their babies hurt, no matter the age or the disappointment (big or small), and so we bring flowers and buy milkshakes and give hugs and promise the sun will come up tomorrow.

And it does.

The Lord's mercies are new every morning--not just mercies for disappointed wanna-be dance line members but mercies for exhausted moms, mercies for stressed out dads, mercies for the hurting, mercies for the hurtful, mercies for the left out, mercies for the looked over, mercies for the hopeless and mercies for the helpless. Because of the steadfast love of the Lord, we have been granted mercy and given grace, undeserved, freely lavished in abundant measure through Jesus Christ.

Are you heartbroken? Disappointed? Are you sure life as you know it is ruined? Do you despair over your sin...or someone's sin against you? Rest in the steadfast love of the Lord that never fails. His mercies are new every morning! Everything will be okay, perhaps not exactly as we would choose, but we can trust Him. He works all things according to the counsel of His will, for our good and His glory. Wait for Him. He is faithful!

But this I call to mind, and therefore I have hope: The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases; his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. “The Lord is my portion,” says my soul, “therefore I will hope in him.” The Lord is good to those who wait for him, to the soul who seeks him.
~Lam. 3:21-25

4 comments:

  1. I needed to read this today! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't make cheerleader in Junior High. It wasn't until adulthood that I understood how hard it was for my parents to see me hurting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know I don't always read your blog, but I did today and I'm thankful. :) Got tears and my eyes as I read today, a reminder that I needed to hear at just the right moment. Thanks friend!

    ReplyDelete